Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How would these horns compare to the 811's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    How would these horns compare to the 811's?

    I was looking on ebay and saw bill has some of these for a reasonable price.....especially since they are new.

    How would these compare to some 811's I have mated to some 802-8g's?

    anyone have any experience with these horns?

    Ihave heard that some of these MR series would really good, or I gleamed the comments somewhere on the 'net...

    Asking here , giving the cumulative knowledge/experience here on the board would give a more accurate answer....


    Found the data sheet on the horn here http://www.lansingheritage.org/image.../931/page1.jpg and figured since the horn drops ~1250hz, figuring I could mate them with a pair of 414's I have..... Guess I will look into comparable cabs, such as the 9842 or the 9849 to house everything in.

    Also I was looking at the polar response charts, what am I looking for here and what are they suppose to tell me?

    Thanks,

    -chris

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How would these horns compare to the 811's?

    You want to use them as tweeters to go with the 811s?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How would these horns compare to the 811's?

    2 way , with 802-8g/MR horn with 414's.... they would work right? XO'd @ around 1500hz....


    Thinking of a wide front baffle, tall and thin design, and mount them flush up against the wall with the horn @ around ear level. With the horn and woofer as close to each other as possible....


    Thinking of using this as a computer system in my office. Got the idea form GM a while back when I got model 15's for a good deal, he was going to get them and use them for his computer set-up... I am thinking of using the smaller 414 instead of the mysterious 15" that came with the model 15's.


    -chris

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How would these horns compare to the 811's?

    I saw those too...... I'd be ordering if I were in the position to start a project.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: How would these horns compare to the 811's?

    Bill is offering these at a great price, used originals bring as much as 200/pr on ebay.

    One thing you might inquire with Bill about is the throat diameter. Originals have a 7/8 inch throat to match the 7/8 inch opening of the Altec 902. 802-8G has a 1 inch opening.

    I'm not familiar with the specific dimensions of the GPA horns or drivers, and whether they're identical to the Altec versions. I do know that internally, the GPA 902 is different from the original Altec 902, but i'm not sure what all of the differences are or where they end.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How would these horns compare to the 811's?

    Thanks bowtie.....

    Just got off the phone with Bill @ GPA, he said they (altec) used to do it all the time....

    The price isn't bad, and if they do not sound good, I still have the 811's and I can put the MR's on ebay....



    -chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.